Military sites not open for inspection under nuclear deal, senior Iranian army official says
Iran’s military sites will never be open for inspection under a comprehensive nuclear deal with world powers, Iran’s Tasnim news agency reported a senior Iranian commander as saying.
Deputy Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Brigadier General Massoud Jazayeri said on Friday that Iranian officials have already announced “clearly and explicitly” their opposition to the inspection of the country’s military and defense facilities, Tasnim reported.
According to the report, Jayazeri dismissed US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter as “lacking in understanding” with regard to his claim that a final deal on Iran’s nuclear program would include inspection of Iran’s military facilities.
“The American side’s insistence on attending Iran’s military centers can be evaluated with regard to the repressed and unattainable wishes of the White House officials,” Iran’s official Press TV quoted Jayazeri as saying Friday.
Carter has addressed the possibility of a military option against Iran, saying that bunker busting bombs, meant to penetrate Iran’s underground facilities, are “ready to go.”
Speaking to CNN in an interview aired Saturday morning, Carter said that the deal between Iran and the P5+1, the basics of which were recently laid out in during negotiations in Switzerland, will hinge not on “trust but rather on “verification.”
Since the signing of the framework deal earlier this month, the issue of inspections joins the issue of the pace of sanctions relief as a potential stumbling block to reach a comprehensive nuclear deal.
FOR THE ENTIRE ARTICLE CLICK LINK