Home Remedies For Scar Removal
When the skin is injured, a fibrous tissue, also known as scar tissue, forms over the wound in order to repair and protect it. This leads to the formation of a scar.
A scar can occur due to many reasons, such as: accidents, acne, insect bites, scrapes, burns, piercings, chickenpox, surgical cuts and vaccinations.
The shape and size of scars can vary, and sometimes it affects the person’s appearance and can make them self-conscious.
Our bodies are capable of taking care of scars and they tend to get lighter with time. Some home remedies may help speed up the healing. Scar removal remedies focus on the support of effective cell growth, minimizing the scar tissue and creating healthy skin.
However, you must remember that there are no procedures that can make a scar disappear completely. All of the available treatments and remedies can only make it less visible. Always make sure to cleanse the affected area thoroughly before applying the home remedies.
Be patient and persistent when using these remedies, since it may take some time depending upon the shape, size and type of your scar. And remember that not every scar removal remedy will work for everyone.
Here are 10 of the most effective home remedies for scar removal:
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is used as a natural scar removal remedy due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It works as a natural emollient to help repair damaged skin and promote growth of healthy skin while, at the same time, improving your skin texture. Here is how to use it:
- Peel the outer green cover off of the Aloe Vera leaf and scoop out the gel-like substance.
- Apply the gel directly on your scar and massage in circular motions.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then wash it off.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel twice a day.
Note: Never apply Aloe Vera gel on open wounds.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another excellent natural remedy that can help fade scars. It contains vitamin E, an antioxidant, which accelerates the healing time and prevents new scars from forming. Furthermore, the lauric, caprylic and capric acids found in coconut oil stimulate collagen production, reverse free-radical damage and promote healing of damaged skin. Instructions:
- Heat some extra-virgin coconut oil until it becomes liquid.
- Put the warm oil on your palm and massage it onto the affected area for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Leave it on your skin for at least 1 hour so that the skin absorbs it.
- For best results, repeat 2 to 4 times a day.
3. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is an effective antioxidant that can help fade scars. It has a moisturizing property that hydrates the skin, repairs damaged tissue and improves the appearance of scars. Instructions:
- Open some vitamin E capsules and squeeze out the oil.
- Smear the oil onto the scar and massage gently for 10 minutes.
- Leave it on your skin for 15 to 20 minutes, and then wash it off with warm water.
- Do this several times a day.
Note: Vitamin E oil may cause an allergic reaction in some people, so test it on a small patch of skin before usage.
4. Olive Oil
Olive oil is known as an effective natural scar removal treatment. It contains vitamin E and keeps the skin soft and moisturized which in turn promotes the healing of damaged skin. Use extra-virgin olive oil for best results. Instructions:
- Warm the extra-virgin olive oil and apply it to the affected area and massage using small, circular motions. Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then wipe it off with a clean cloth. You can also leave the oil on your skin overnight.
- You can also combine the olive oil with a little lavender oil, apply the mixture on the affected area and massage gently for a few minutes. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Repeat one of these remedies several times a day until you get the desired result.
The alpha hydroxy acids in lemons have healing properties that can help treat all types of scars. Lemon is used to remove dead skin cells, improve skin elasticity and promote the growth of new skin cells. The vitamin C in lemons can also help regenerate and repair damaged skin. The bleaching property of lemons can help lighten scars. Instructions:
- Squeeze some lemon juice and apply it on the affected area. If your skin is sensitive, then you can dilute the lemon juice with equal amounts of rose water or vitamin E oil and then apply it on the scar.
- Leave it for 10 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat once daily until the scar fades.
Note: Avoid going out in the sun right after you’ve used this treatment because lemon can make your skin photosensitive. And always make sure that you apply sunscreen when you go outside.
Honey is a natural moisturizer, which makes it an effective scar removal treatment. Its properties prevent the accumulation of dead skin cells and stimulate skin tissue regeneration. Instructions:
- Apply some honey on the scar, cover it with a bandage and leave it on overnight. Wash it off with warm water in the morning. Repeat this every day before going to bed.
- You can also use it as a scrub by combining it with an equal amount of crystallized sugar. Apply it on the affected area and scrub gently for a few minutes. Rinse it off with warm water, dry the skin and apply a moisturizer. Use this treatment once or twice a week.
FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE CLICK LINKClick here for the Top 12 Moments in Jewish History...LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN! »