Tianjin Blasts: Firefighter Rescued 31 Hours After Massive Explosions
Firefighter found alive 31 hours after Tianjin blasts in China
A firefighter trapped for more than 31 hours was rescued from the blast site in the Chinese port city of Tianjin, according to a city official and state media.
At least 56 people — including 21 firefighters — were killed when two explosions erupted at around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday local time. Several firefighters are reportedly still missing.
The firefighter rescued Friday was identified by state media as 19-year-old Zhou Ti. China’s state broadcaster CCTV said he received treatment for burns, smoke inhalation and an injured leg.
“Forces from all sides are searching for the (remaining) missing firefighters,” Tianjin Fire Department head Zhou Tian said at a news conference Friday, according to The Associated Press.
State news agency Xinhua said that a total of 701 people remained hospitalized after the blast and that more than a dozen firefighters were still missing.
Following the blasts, many residents kept their windows and doors shut after officials reported dangerous toxins in the air.
The air pollutants — including methylbenzene, methane, epoxy ethane — were “basically at normal levels” by Thursday afternoon, Nankai University professor Feng Yin Chang told reporters on Friday.
However she said that it was still “not very clear” which chemicals had been involved in the initial explosion.
A 200-strong nuclear, biological and chemical team from the Chinese army was drafted in to test for toxins surrounding the site.
FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE CLICK LINKClick here for the Top 12 Moments in Jewish History...LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN! »