BREAKING NEWS: Jihadist gunmen screaming ‘Allahu Akbar’ launch grenade and shooting rampage in hotel in Mali and take 170 people hostage before freeing a handful who could recite the Koran
- Radison Blu hotel under attack by jihadists in Malian capital of Bamako
- Up to 12 gunmen have taken 170 hostages inside the Radisson hotel
- Witnesses heard gunmen shout ‘Allahu Akbar’ during horrific attack
- Gunmen tested hostages knowledge of the Koran and allowed Muslim hostages to leave the hotel
- Explosions and machine gun fire were heard at the popular hotel in Mali
- US embassy urges American nationals to ‘shelter in place’ from attack
- Al Qaeda affiliated militants have previously targeted hotels in Bamako
- Air France crew have frequently stayed at the Radisson Blu hotel
Armed jihadists have gone on a deadly shooting rampage and taken 170 hostages at the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako, Mali.
Automatic weapons fire has been heard on the seventh floor of the 190-room hotel, where it is thought as many as 12 militants have taken 140 guests and 30 members of staff hostage.
Witnesses described hearing at least one explosion and shouts of ‘Allahu Akbar’ during the hotel attack, which is frequently used by Air France crew in Mali.
No group have claimed responsibility for the attack but Al Qaeda affiliated militants have previously carried out attacks in Mali.
Some hostages have been freed from the hotel after they proved to they could recite verses from the Koran.
‘It’s all happening on the seventh floor, jihadists are firing in the corridor,’ a security source said.
The Rezidor Hotel Group confirmed it is ‘aware of the hostage-taking that is ongoing at the property today.’
‘As per our information, two persons have locked in 140 guests and 30 employees,’ the statement said.
‘Our safety and security teams and our corporate team are in constant contact with the local authorities in order to offer any support possible to re-instate safety and security at the hotel,’ it added.
The US embassy in Bamako has urged embassy staff to seek cover from
FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE CLICK LINKClick here for the Top 12 Moments in Jewish History...LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN! »