The 31 surprising uses for baking soda that you’ve probably never heard of
Baking soda can do a lot more than just sit in the back of the fridge. Try these easy tips and put baking soda to work in every room of your house! Plus, try these 6 ways to clean with baking soda in under 60 seconds.
- Skip produce washes—just put some baking soda on a damp sponge, scrub and rinse.
- Soak hair brushes and combs in a mixture of 1 teaspoon baking soda and a small amount of warm water. Rinse and dry.
- Before you store your patio furniture for the season, scatter baking soda under chair cushions.
- Keep your grill clean all summer long by putting some baking soda on a damp brush, scrubbing the grate, then rinsing.
- Freshen rugs by sprinkling baking soda on carpet, wait at least 15 minutes (preferably let sit overnight), then vacuum up.
- Add 1 cup of baking soda to your next load of laundry (along with your regular liquid detergent) to get clothes cleaner and brighter.
- Remove baked-on residue by shaking a generous amount of baking soda on pots and pans. Then add hot water and dish detergent, let sit for 15 minutes and wash as usual.
- Deodorize a funky-smelling hamper. Sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of the hamper (or over dirty clothes) to keep items fresher until laundry day.
- To brighten a dull floor finish, dissolve ½ cup baking soda in a bucket of warm water. Mop and rinse for a shiny floor.
- Make your own bathroom scrub by mixing ¼ cup baking soda with 1 tablespoon liquid detergent. Add vinegar to give it a thick, creamy texture.
- To put out a grease fire, scatter baking soda over it by the handful to extinguish flames.
- Clean the dishwasher and coffeemaker by running an empty cycle with baking soda.
- Add ½ cup baking soda to your bath for an at-home spa treatment.
- To shine tarnished silver, combine three parts baking soda with one part water. Rub onto silver with a clean cloth or sponge. Rinse thoroughly and dry.
- Sprinkle baking soda in the kitty box, then add litter on top to keep smells to a minimum. Or make a DIY litter, mixing a small box of baking soda with 3 inches of sandy clay.
- Use baking soda to brush your pets’ teeth.
- For instant relief from bug bites, sunburn and poison ivy, mix baking soda with a little water and apply it directly to the sore.
- Pour in 1 cup baking soda followed by 1 cup hot
FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE CLICK LINKClick here for the Top 12 Moments in Jewish History...LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN! »