Damascus Bombing: Deadliest Attack of Syrian Civil War
A string of bomb attacks on Sunday near a Shiite shrine south of Damascus killed 120 people and was the deadliest attack since Syria’s war erupted in 2011.
A string of bomb attacks on Sunday near a Shiite shrine south of Damascus which killed 120 people in total was the deadliest attack since Syria’s war erupted in 2011, a monitor said.
At least 90 civilians were among those killed when suicide attacks claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group (ISIS) ripped through the area of the Sayyida Zeinab shrine, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
They included displaced people from other parts of Syria, devastated by a nearly five-year conflict. The rest of the dead were from pro-regime security forces, according to Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman.
The bloodiest attack before Sunday’s explosions had been carried out by Al Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate, Al Nusra Front, in May 2012 near Damascus and had killed 112 people.
Sunday’s blasts drew sharp condemnation from UN special envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura.
An AFP reporter at the scene said the explosions struck about 400 meters (yards) from the revered Shiite shrine containing the grave of a granddaughter of the founder of Islam Mohammed.
A January attack in the same area – also claimed by ISIS – killed 70 people. Sunday’s attack on the shrine came on the same day as a separate bomb attack – also claimed by ISIS – struck the regime-held Al-Zahraa district of Homs, killing at least 59 people. It was followed on Monday by news that ISIS and other jihadists had cut a vital supply route linking the west of Syria’s second city Aleppo with other government-held territory.
The road between Aleppo and the town of Khanasser to the southeast was the only way regime forces and civilians living in government-controlled neighborhoods of the city could travel to surrounding provinces. If government forces
FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE CLICK LINKClick here for the Top 12 Moments in Jewish History...LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN! »