President Obama SNUBS Nancy Reagan’s funeral so he can speak at hipster festival South By Southwest
- President Obama instead will be speaking at the South By Southwest movie, music and technology festival in Austin
- Nancy Reagan passed away in California on Sunday at age 94
- It has been confirmed that First Lady Michelle Obama will attend funeral
- Mrs Obama on Tuesday described her predecessor as ‘a woman of incredible strength and grace’
- Mrs Reagan will be buried beside her husband on Friday
- Burial will take place at Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley
- She will lie in repose at the library on Wednesday and Thursday
A White House official confirmed this afternoon that President Barack Obama will not be in attendance at former First Lady Nancy Reagan’s funeral on Friday, instead opting to speak at a popular film and music festival in Texas.
Obama will be represented at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library by his wife, Michelle. Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton said she will be attending the service in Simi Valley, California, as well.
In late February, Obama drew widespread criticism after skipping the funeral for conservative Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.
The president is scheduled to deliver a keynote address on Friday at the South By Southwest festival in Austin. The annual event features movie screenings, musical performances and conferences on interactive media and technology, and has become known as a must-attend date for those in the tech world and Silicon Valley.
The news comes just days after the Obamas recalled how Mrs Reagan had been wonderful and gracious to them when they moved into the White House.
President Obama said she ‘had redefined the role’ of First Lady.’
He added: ‘Later, in her long goodbye with President Reagan, she became a voice on behalf of millions of families going through the depleting, aching reality of Alzheimer’s, and took on a new role, as advocate, on behalf of treatments that hold the potential and the promise to improve and save lives.’
During her appearance on Tuesday at Union Market
FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE CLICK LINKClick here for the Top 12 Moments in Jewish History...LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN! »