French authorities accused of lying about Bastille Day massacre to cover up chronic security failings that led to 84 deaths
- Families prepare to sue after Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel’s July 14 attack
- His 19-tonne lorry murder weapon was five times over the legal weight limit
- The terrorist was unchallenged by police before he killed revellers in Nice
- Investigators lied to the public about the truck being a refrigerated one
- Barrier back-ups around pedestrianized zone removed just before tragedy
The French authorities were today accused of lying about the Bastille Day massacre as they covered up chronic security failings that allowed 84 people to die.
As family of victims prepared to sue, there was particular anger that a 19-tonne lorry five times over the weight limit had been allowed to run people down on Nice seafront.
Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel was unchallenged by police before he attacked the crowds watching a July 14 firework display in what should have been a pedestrianized zone.
At one point the 31-year-old told officers he had ice creams in the back of his hired vehicle – despite the fact that he was clearly in an ordinary delivery truck with no fridge.
‘It’s unreal,’ said Patrick Mortigliengo, president of National Federation of Road Transport hauliers in the Alpes-Maritimes region that covers Nice.
Highlighting weight limits that should have been strictly enforced, he said the lorry was a standard and easily recognisable Renault Midlum.
Mr Mortigliengo said any transport vehicle over 7.5 tonnes was banned from French roads on public holidays, while the limit on the Nice seafront was always 3.5 tonnes.
July 14 – when France celebrates the storming of the Bastille during the 1789 French Revolution – is the country’s most celebrated public holiday, and every police
FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE CLICK LINKClick here for the Top 12 Moments in Jewish History...LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN! »