Woman is Muslim clothing is set on fire in NYC
- The incident happened outside Valentino store in Midtown Manhattan
- Woman, 35, noticed her sleeve was on fire at around 9pm on Saturday
- Victim has been named in reports as Nemariq Al-Hinai, from Glasgow
- She quickly doused the flame and noticed a man with a lighter near her
- The suspect had disappeared by the time she flagged down police officer
- The NYPD Hate Crimes Task Force is investigating if the attack was motivated by anti-Muslim bias
Police have released footage of a man who is believed to have set fire to a Scottish Muslim woman’s sleeve while she was shopping in New York.
The victim, named in media reports as Nemariq Al-Hinai, 35, from Glasgow, was assaulted on Midtown Manhattan’s Fifth Avenue at 8.58pm on Saturday night.
She was looking through the windows of designer clothes store Valentino after getting off a tourist bus when she ‘felt something warm on her left arm and noticed her blouse was on fire’.
Nemariq patted out the fire and observed a male standing next to her with a lighter in his hand before he fled the scene.
She flagged down a police officer to report the crime but the suspect had already fled down 54th Street, an NYPD spokesman told Daily Mail Online.
NYPD’s Hate Crime Task Force is now investigating the incident.
Nemariq, thought to be a dentist working in Hamilton, South Lanarksire, refused medical attention at the scene.
Police confirmed there had been no arrests but released a video of the prime suspect walking down the street.
It shows a man wearing a black hat, black tank top, black trousers and black shoes checking behind him and walking away from the incident.
Mazhar Khan, a spokesman
FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE CLICK LINKClick here for the Top 12 Moments in Jewish History...LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN! »